Rainy Day on Blue Ridge Parkway

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

It rained the whole ride on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. This was the only shot that showed some background. Taken with Canon SX60, F4, 1/60 sec., ISO 100. All comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like your composition with that ghostly tree. It kind of looks a bit menacing like it is reaching for the smaller trees to the left…or maybe it’s just my overactive imagination! Either way, this is nicely done and the moderately threatening skies seem to compliment the mood.

The tree draws me in and points toward the nice motion in the clouds. Nice work for a not so great day!

The tree has a wonderful shape and make for a great subject. I think the rest of your your composition does a nice job of creating a sense a lot of depth as your eye moves around the image. While the sky is dramatic, and creates some mood, I think there is too much negative space above and to the right of the tree. I would maintain your aspect ratio, and crop some from the top and right, which would make the tree even more prominent in the image. i also think the the sky could benefit from some more mid-tone contrast, especially in the darker parts of the sky. Perhaps something like this…

Thanks Brian, Jay and Ed for your feedback. It is always appreciated. Ed, your rework of the image does improve it and I will work on my original. It is nice to see another person from MA on NPN.

I like the composition. The tree, clouds and general tone give the image a gothic feel that is compelling. That being said, I think a little more time with post processing would enhance the image greatly. I find the darks and midtowns, especially in the foreground, to be kind of muddy. I would suggest adding some contrast and clarity in the midtones to the tree and the shrubbery behind.

I love the tree and the way it directs the viewer toward the drama laden sky on the left side of the scene, Patricia. I think Ed’s small tweaks work very nicely. I only have one other suggestion if you are so inclined. I am thinking I would clone out that one section of the tree where it intersects with the other trees. Great mood here.

Love the composition and the shape/texture of the clouds is wonderful. The darkness of the sky looks overdone to me, and actually takes away from the drama created by the tree. For me, the tree should be the only focal point, and with the sides being so dark, and the sky being so dark right around the top of the tree, it tends to confuse my eyes (especially the dark area around the top of the tree). I downloaded and played with it a little for comparison sake and I like it better when the tree is the main and only focal point. Keep in mind, my edits were just very quick and dirty to see if my thoughts had merit. Actual edits would take longer and need more careful editing.

Lots of choices here. I like your original vision, dark and moody.

This one of those images that can be processed for different moods. I like Ed’s crop, but I do like the sky in the original for it’s drama. Nicely done!
-P

Patricia,

What great character this old tree has; it seems so fitting given the clouds/sky, darkness and stormy conditions. I’m not sure I would change anything. Kudos for taking advantage of the one time you got a break in the clouds.

Lon