Dead Tree in the Sky

I shot this today on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Loved the foggy conditions up in the mountains. It was perfect for abstract landscapes.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m trying to improve at abstract landscape art. I de-saturated the orange since it was overpowering.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single Raw Image. LR only, Sony a7riii, Asahi 28mm, Handheld, no filters, EVF in B&W. 1/15S, ISO 100, f-5.6.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I love what you are going for here Bradley, but find the bright patch of sky and the tree compete with each other. I’d also recommend less of the plugged vegetation, or if available in the raw pulling out a touch of shadow detail.

For me, the tree is the strongest point of the image, and you might consider isolating it more. (Here’s a crop along those lines.)

Bradley,

That old tree has some character and makes for a great silhouette. Honestly, I’m not sure I would categorize this as an abstract? I guess unless one considers the silhouette as an abstract - but that really doesn’t matter.

The layers of fog that turn in to clouds and color really help make this a great silhouette. The colors look good, although my own taste might be to bring back more of the pink/orange colors. I suppose you could crop this, but I’m really liking the vastness of the fog/sky behind the tree.

This works quite nicely as presented.

Lon

John,
Thanks for the feedback. I never had any intention other than silhouette from the second I saw this. The foreground vegetation isn’t what I responded to. I actually burned it down to keep it from being distracting.

I looked and let it marinate for a while and looked again at what you said about the sky competing with the tree, but I don’t agree. I think the tree compliments the sky. If there were two bright spots or the tree didn’t intersect with the bright part of the sky, I’d probably agree with you.

The crop you suggested doesn’t tell the story of what I experienced or how it affected me. It was a grand vista with fog and inversion layers. It actually makes me feel anxious when I’m going for calm and peaceful.

Thanks again.

Lon,
Thanks for the feedback. While it’s not completely abstract, I think silhouettes are an abstract quality.

My taste may vary later to the saturation, but this is the way I edited shortly after taking it while I was still affected by the original experience.