Ram in the morning, ram in the evening (ain't we got fun?)

Oh and on the workshop thing - I think it entirely depends on you and how you set your expectations for one with the guides/instructors. With only three under my belt, I can’t speak for all, but the guys that ran the ones I went on were really understanding with my goals which didn’t include a lot of instruction, but to get to a new location and basically make me get up for sunrise and stay up for sunset. Plus the logistics are covered and that makes life easier. I know that If I start to dither or I can’t find a shot, I can ask, but going out on my own a bit is something I’m comfortable with.

Funny moment on the Badlands workshop - the two sunset views I posted earlier are on an overlook which is where we shot the whole time (from various overlooks, but always right on the park road). But I ventured out a bit onto some of the ridges. Not far, but in order to get the shot I had to get behind a bit of rock that would cover me entirely. Just before I saw it one of the guides joked with me that if he looked over and just saw the tripod he’d know I fell off. When I needed to get behind the rock, I yelled over to them and said I was just behind it, not dead. They appreciated it and laughed. I did not die.

Same happened on a couple of shoots with Josh in the cypress lakes - I just told him I was paddling off around a bend and he was all good. Finding distinctive images in my limited time on these kinds of things is my goal even though I know quite well I’m not producing anything new. But it’s new to my collective work and the experience of working with other photographers is novel for me, too, since I’m always alone.