Rapid Realm

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like how this image showcases the different fluctuations in water via the large falls in the back and the smaller cascades throughout the foreground and middle of the image.

Creative direction

I wanted the viewer to be able to feel the rush of the falls.

Specific Feedback

I had two key concerns with this image. The first is the brightness of the falls. Some spots have no detail but I like having a small amount of pure white in the scene. The second concern is the white balance.

Technical Details

I did blend together varying shutter speeds for this image. Processed in ACR and Photoshop.

Description

This image was made along the Presque Isle River in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Captured the second week of July.

For me, the issues in this image all reside in the left hand side. The large expanse of white water there just seems out of balance with the rest of the image, and that is also where the water is most blown out and lacking in detail. Some cropping might help, but the angle of the shot would make it difficult to crop too much from this side.

The rest of the image is very nice and I like the contrast of the warm toned rock with the cool toned water

The white balance seems fine to me.

1 Like

Thanks for the input Will. I agree with your thoughts on the left side of the image. It is something that’s hard to crop out too without taking much of the other cascades out of the frame. This will for sure be a scene I tweak when I visit this location again in October. I’m imagining just focusing on the right side of the frame with some fall foliage scattered along the rocks. Thanks again for the input!