Sculpted

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is an image of a small cascade. It’s actually a scene within a scene from a previous image that I posted for critique ( named Elemental Union). I shot this image last week on a backpacking trip in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

Specific Feedback

I welcome feedback on the composition, technical elements of the image, and processing.

Technical Details

I blened together two shutter speeds for the water motion at both the top of the image and the bottom of the cascade. I pushed the whites on the water as far as they could go and adjusted the mid tones. I dodged the moss in the bottom left hand corner as well but made it a point not to brighten it too much so it is competing with the water.

Hi Josh, this is a really captivating scene and I think your composition has done a great job at showcasing a variety of interesting elements without allowing them to compete or overpower one another. The texture of the moss interspersed between the rushing water and smooth surfaces of rock create a very interesting image, as well as the contrast between the geometry of the rocks compared to the water which are very well balanced in your composition.
In regards to your processing, I find myself wanting to follow the flow of the water through the image, although the difference in brightness between the top/bottom of the water and the middle section of water makes it slightly hard to follow the water through the frame without being pulled too quickly to the brightest parts of the image. I think it could benefit your image if you brighten the middle section of water some more or darken the top and bottom sections of water so that the exposure of the cascade feels a bit more uniform.

Apart from this, I think you have a beautiful image with a really strong composition :slight_smile:

Great image. A little more room at the top might improve it, and bringing some details to those very dark areas.

1 Like

Thanks Keenan! I agree with your thought to make the water more uniform throughout the image. Appreciate your input!

1 Like