Rapid Water Detail#1

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Just a small section of a local rapid water

Specific Feedback

I convert to B/W and tone it using Nik Silver Efex

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Nikon 70/200

4 Likes

This is a nice composition. It also works well as an abstract. There is tension of opposing forces that you feel. Is the left moving towards the right or right towards the left. Lots of energy here. I see this more as leaning towards abstraction rather than a representation of water.

Hi João,
what a beautiful image. I love your chosen shutter speed and your edit.

If I had to change anything about the image, it would be burning some of the brightest parts on the left edge of the frame slightly.

But the image is really great as it is. Well done!

João, this is a great view of this rapid. I like how you’ve split the frame roughly in half and am impressed that you’ve got similar sharpness from bottom to top. This is a nicely meditative view where I can hear the sounds of the rapids as I enjoy the sense of movement in the water.

João, I have only one word: Stunning! I love this, the image, the processing, the toning. Well done and a fantastic image.

Joao
Love the processing, soft . Agree with @Igor_Doncov that it is more abstract than a representation.

There is something in the nature of moving water that I have called dynamic invariance. By which I mean that which is constantly changing while at the same time always remaining the same. You have captured this beautifully in this image. But what makes it special for me is what @Igor_Doncov has pointed out, namely the opposition of dark and light. There is a dynamic balance in this image that gives it a lot of power but also a sense of repose that I can meditatively sit with. Beautifully composed.

I really like how you pulled this image together both in the field and in processing - just a thing of beauty. Perfect shutter speed and handling of the luminosity range. Superb.

This one speaks to me @joaoquintela. I love the left/right division, and as others have noted the black/white division. Well done!

I really like this. As a print, it would catch my eye across the room. Aesthetically, it grabs my attention. Light versus dark. Rough versus smooth. Very well balanced composition! Technically, I think you did a great job on your choice of location and getting it all in focus, and in keeping all the tones there. Awesome!

A most elegant composition based on the flow and interplay of shapes and tones for me. The vertical orientation frames the zigzag design aptly in my opinion.

Congrats on editors pick!

WOW!!! I Love this one, Joao. I’m very late to this one but I had to tell you how much I really like this image. I would print this one huge. One of your absolute best! Enough said.

João, this just had to be an editor’s pick It definitely made my day.
Nature is able to generate forms and tones our science can’t even adequately describe. All we can do is witness and enjoy it. You recorded and edited this scene perfectly. With the darker tones on the right and the brighter ones on the left, this all feels like a natural yin and yang.
The shutter speed is also chosen very well, so the water isn’t too blurry, but also not too much in focus, which would take away from the overwhelming mood in this photograph.
I would love to see this printed. This is one of those photographs I could be looking at for quite some time and it would keep inspiring thoughts. Thanks for this.

So beautiful, João. The tones are gorgeous and perfect for the subject and composition. The texture is lovely, and the balance of light/dark is just right. Wonderfully seen and captured!!