"Reaching"

Very transient light rays through falling rain along the Blue Ridge Parkway this spring.

Specific Feedback Requested

On a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being drop dead gorgeous), I’d give this a 6 or 7, but maybe that’s just because I was there & remember how drop dead gorgeous the light was! :slight_smile: Perhaps a more panoramic crop would help. Would enjoy any feedback or rating, thanks!

Technical Details

Fuji GFX 100, GF 100 - 200mm lens @124mm, 1/25 @ f11, ISO 640

5 Likes

Beautiful colours and composition Kevin. Great use of layers. I would crop off a bit on the right to eliminate the bright section that looks like water. Love the ethereal sky.

I like how the tree on the left appears (to me anyway) to be gazing upon the sun. Nice contrast of cool colors in the hills against the warm colors of the tree and sun.

Beautiful image Kevin! So much to enjoy with this one. Starting with the tree – love the emerging spring leaves - finishing up their “leafing out” stage. Also, I think important to the composition is how much of the tree you included. This is a great example of including just enough of something that tells the viewer you had every intention of making the tree part of your composition. Any less of the tree, and the tendancy might be to want to crop or remove it. But that’s NOT the case here.

And the glorious light! Along with the mountain layers all work beautifully together. Oh, and the tree being up front, gives the image depth as well.

I would agree with Andre on the small thing on the right edge - I think you could easily clone rather than crop? Very minor, but wanted to echo that Andre mentioned it.

Lon

Really nice pastel scene, Kevin. And you’re using my kit too. :slightly_smiling_face: The GFX 100 and GF 100 - 200, GF 45 - 100 are my primary landscape kit.

I love the light coming in from the right and the soft cool light surrounding it. The tree on the left helps my eye bounce gently back into the scene. A success indeed.

Thanks Lon, Dean, David & Andre! Really gratifying to hear your comments. It was such an epic place & time; a rare experience. No photograph could really do it justice but it’s nice to know some of the scene’s power got communicated to you & others. It’s why we do what we do! I agree about the thing on the far right - distracting. Thanks everyone, looking forward to seeing your shots here too.

Hi Kevin,

Overall the photograph has great balance. The visual weight of the tree on the left is nicely balanced by the visual brightness of the bright sky on the right. The light and airy feel ties the two ends together nicely.

I echo much of what has already been said. Great balance with the tree and the soft layer of brightly lit clouds compliment and balance each other out. I love that you shot this at f/11 with terrific detail in the tree and a softening effect in the hazy distant hills. The colors look terrific to me and the atmosphere is something special. What a glow.
I will also echo in on cloning out the small tip of the lake on the right edge. I think @Lon_Overacker nailed it when he said, “Also, I think important to the composition is how much of the tree you included. This is a great example of including just enough of something that tells the viewer you had every intention of making the tree part of your composition. Any less of the tree, and the tendency might be to want to crop or remove it. But that’s NOT the case here.” Perfection in framing.

Thanks @Youssef_Ismail, appreciate the comments very much.

Thanks @David_Haynes! I wanted to convey the “reaching” of the tree for the sunlight and vice versa. I felt like cropping off the tree where I did would convey an incompleteness that could be only filled by the sun. That’s the way the scene felt to me anyway. Thanks for the great feedback.