Recycling

As leaves, twigs, branches and logs fall to the ground they provide the building blocks for fungi - one branch of the tree of life nourishing another. Here you can almost sense how different fungi are, almost alien by nature. Also esthetically along another axis of expression.

Specific Feedback Requested

Or is it just commonplace and mundane?

Technical Details

Leica Q2, 28 mm, f/3.2, 1/400, -1 EV, ISO 1600 (yes it was quite dark), handheld, LR added a bit clarity, luminescence and a tiny bit saturation and yes, some vignetting (I often overdo it)

1 Like

Hey Jan,

I like the subject matter here, but with stuff like this that is so subtle, I feel like the closer you can get the better. Having any kind of background or surrounding area just dilutes the amazing details. I just cropped in a bit more not as a suggestion, but as an example of how you really should give the viewer as little else to look at as possible.

Cropping in isn’t the solution here, but I feel like this could have made for a great macro scene, just focusing in on the fungi and showing some layering. Mushrooms are tough to shoot man! What can I say? I don’t have a single image in my portfolio.

Hope this is helpful! At least for the future.

Thanks Eric, much appreciated! Yes, the matter is indeed subtle. The cropping augments the weight of the fungus but diminishes the contrast between plants and fungi, which in itself admittedly is probably not strong enough to motivate the image. Great to get help to reflect!
cheers!

1 Like