Fungi Fantasia 2

Not sure what to say about this image. I was mesmerized by the fungi growing out of a downed tree along the trail I was walking and spent hours just hanging out with my camera. I like the way this one flows and I was fascinated by the chiaroscuro - the way the dark shadows define the image.

1 Like

Kerry, I like what you were going for here, but in all honesty I feel there is too much dark negative space on the right.

Kerry, I would definitely play with the cropping here. I think tightening the composition will make the image more abstract and play to the contrast. I downloaded the image and played with some alternative square crops and 5:4 crops and like them better.

1 Like

I can see why you were fascinated by this light. In my opinion, the shadows are more important to the image than the fungi are. I agree with @Adhika_Lie about playing with the crop here, I think 4:5 cropping from the right would look good. I like having the empty space in the LRC to counterbalance the fungi, but would just prefer to see slightly less of it.

And since this image is so much about shapes and light, I think it would also translate well to B&W.

@Michael_Lowe, @Adhika_Lie, @Ed_McGuirk. Scroll up to see a 4:5 version. I’m not sure how I feel about it - I kind of like it hanging in black space - but my wife agrees with all of you, so this would appear to be a viable alternative. As is the case with choices like this, I should probably print it and see which I like.

This is exactly what I had in mind Kerry. Getting rid of the the fungi in the extreme URC helps, as well as the slight reduction in black space. To me the rework feels better balanced as a result.

Print it and let it “grow” on you.