Red-breasted Nuthatch close up

Snowy day nuthatch

Since there are other nuthatch fans on here, I thought I’d post a couple of shots of this species. We only rarely get red-breasted in west Tennessee in irruptive winters. Taken a few years ago in the backyard. Attracted by peanuts.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I realize this is pretty tight in the frame but wanted to get up close since I am enamored with the plumage of this species.

Technical Details

Canon 7DII, 400 f4 DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod

first image: ISO 400, f10, 1/1000s
second image: ISO 640, f7.1, 1/250s

1 Like

Both images are excellent, Allen. We have them around,but it’s rarely more than a couple.

Really superb job on the detail and exposure. I like the crop. The warm colors really make the first image work well for me.

Nice images of the nuthatch. I especially like the image in the snow. It’s interesting that the bird looks different in the two images from the classic elongated pose in the first to the second, which almost looks more like a black-capped chickadee.