Red Kites on Black Mountain, South Wales, UK

What technical feedback would you like if any? ANY

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ANY

Pertinent technical details or techniques: f/8. 1/2000 sec. ISO 900. D850 with Tamron 160-600mm (at 600mm).

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

That’s a very cool shot Philip, often when birds overlap in flight it doesn’t work very well, but this works great I think. You nailed the focus on the front bird, it would have been amazing to get the back in bird in focus as well but that would have been a very tall order in terms of depth of field with the techs you are showing so I think you did about as well as you could have with the light available. Thanks for sharing.

Superb shot Phillip! The “look” from both birds is fantastic and their overall body/wing position works very well for BIF image. Looking at the full size image there is quite a bit of noise, I am guessing, that this is a significant crop? If it is I totally get it, even with the longest telephoto your always left want more reach.

Wall hanger, I say. Great capture.

A really nice shot. Not often can a person get two in one and both coming to you. You really nailed focus on the front bird with lots in focus.
I think with both birds going in slightly different directions helps the composition and adds to the interest. Good for you.

Excellent, Philip. I love the detail in the lead bird and the rear bird works well in this composition. I do think this might work even better hung on a wall with just a bit more room on both sides, but this composition certainly maximizes the initial impact.

It seems most BIF shots of two birds shows them in tandem, so I like that they seem to be going in different directions and there is enough separation in the overlapping wings. Yes, some noise in the under wings, but a great shot nevertheless. A real keeper.

Thanks, Dennis! I think you might be right, and I have tweaked it with a slightly larger canvas, plus given the back bird a slightly brighter eye. I was very lucky to get this image and my D850’s autofocus really nailed the front bird. I think I quite like the back bird not in focus, even though I would have been hard pressed to get both in focus anyway - it almost gives the impression that it is shadowing the front bird in an almost sinister way, though that of course is a very subjective view. I am relatively new to bird photography, but absolutely love the time I have spent trying to learn the craft. The red kite almost died out in the UK, but was reintroduced to Wales some years ago, and the expansion in numbers has been a great conservation success story. Your time and trouble in commenting is much appreciated. Philip

Thank you, Allen. There was a lot of luck in getting this image, and I am pleased with it! Philip

Truly stunning photograph!
I just wonder what it would look like if you warmed the White Balance up just a touch.
If that also makes the sky too light you could darken it with the blue HUE slider in LightRoom.
Al Ryckman