Red Tail in Flight

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Managed to get out today. Light was a bit harsh and wish I had a few clouds but, it was great to be out.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 7Dll, Canon 400mm 5.6, ISO 160, 1/2000 sec., 400mm, hand held.
LR classic, Topaz AI.
All comments welcomed.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A nice flight shot. I like that lots of the hawk is in focus with detail showing as well as good eye contact. Good idea on the crop format. I might just lighten up the facial area a bit even though it is in shadow. The birds feathers sure look to be in rough shape and I wonder why.

Very nice, Charlie. Iā€™m seeing a bit of noise in the shadowed area of the bird , but nothing objectionable. I love the wing positions and the shadows of the far primaries on the secondaries is just awesome. I donā€™t know how much you did to the shadows, but you might want to try subtly dodging the face just a bit more. A very good flight shot.

Really like the ā€œarrangementā€ of the bird in this image. BG is rather noisy for iso 160 but I am guessing it was a stop or two underexposed. You could fix it with aggressive NR on the sky layer only.

Thanks for the feed back. I lightened the face a bit and did a little more denies. the face makes a difference. Not sure how to do an aggressive denoise on a layer. Sounds like PS. Just donā€™t have that expertise yet.

Interesting pose and nice wing position and the direction of gaze.

Like the pose a lot. But image quality could be better. I assume this was a big crop?

Yes. I cropped to about 20% of original. Always wish they were closer.
Thanks.