Red Tail

Red Tail in flight. Not the best BG

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 1600, 200-500 at 500, f8, 1600th, handheld, 75% of full frame

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David, you’ve had a good year with birds in flight. I like the mix of sharpness and softness in the hawk. I think the background works very well (with the minor exception of the whitish area ulc). The bird’s colors show very well.

As you’ve noted, the background is not really working for me either. But the bird is tack sharp and that’s always a good thing. I would suggest cloning out the gray triangle in the BG on the UL corner.

Here is a redo on the BG. I masked the bird and did a tilt shift on the BG. Any better or too fakey?

Definitely better! I wouldn’t think it being fakey. With this BG, I suggest investing more time on masking the bird. I can see some of those BG bleeding into the bird. Great improvement here, David

This really shows off the red tail, David. It looks to me like you might have done some cleanup work on the wrong layer on the head-it looks like the top of the head and tip of the beak are a bit erased or cloned over. This is showing up on both versions. As for the background, I think I’d reduce the opacity of the tilt-shift layer a bit as it does look just slightly overdone to my eye.