Red-tailed Hawk + repost

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon R5, 100-500 + 1.4X at 700, ISO 2000, f/10 (wide open), 1/1600 sec, cropped to 20% of the full frame. Boring sky replaced with one I shot several years ago. Only a slight exposure increase in LR, into PS for Topaz Denoise AI (with no sharpening), then a layer with Topaz Sharpen AI. Masked out at partial opacity a few areas that got a little crunchy. Made a composite layer and selected the sky and masked it out. Dropped another sky in under the bird and sized and moved to taste. Minor tweaks on the mask as needed.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Really a pleasure to see the detail and color of this hawk looking for groceries.
For me, the blue seemed a bit eye catching, so I preferred to warm the image, which enhanced the bird’s colors a bit, and cropped to take it off center and let it be soaring into a bit of space

HI Diane
You did a great job in photos shop with layering ad masking. By the way the Red-tail looks really great, with a 80% drop in pixels. The coloring and detail are vary nice.
Peter

Very nice, Diane. When I first looked at it I was going to congratulate you on getting the bird so well lined up with the cloud. Excellent job on the processing. I don’t see much difference in Dick’s blues, but I do like his crop a little better.

Diane a really nice photo of the redtail. It is sharp with lots of detail. I also like your choice of sky. I prefer the hawk’s position in Dick’s repost and do think his repost brings out a bit more red in tail. Well done.

When I first opened this image, my very first reaction to it was that the sky had been replaced. This was even before I read what you did. Not making a judgement on replacing the sky, just sharing my reaction. Technically it looks like you did a good job. It still looks like the sky was pasted in to my eyes.

Thanks guys! I do agree that Dick’s repost is an improvement and I will make the changes to the file. When I replace a sky I often go for a dramatic, graphic look. I’m usually thinking, what would a painter do?

Here’s my corrected version with Dick’s suggestions, and in addition I toned down t e bright clouds under the tail. I think it’s a great improvement.