Red-tailed Hawk + RP + RRP

And a RP from suggestions below:

And another one to shorten the branch and give it a bit more saturation.

From the boat ride with Kristen on Lake Pleasant, just north of Phoenix. There was a surprising amount of wildlife in what seemed to be a barren landscape.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100-500 + 1.4X at 700. ISO 1000, f/10, 1/2500 sec. Handheld in an often-rocking boat. Just basic LR adjustments here, nothing heroic. No NR or sharpening. This one didn’t need to go into PS. Cropped to 24% of the original frame.

1 Like

A beauty!! What a patient bird that was. Amazing. I’m still playing with mine. If you feel up to heroics, maybe a touch contrast and clone out the branch behind. And oh boy was the boat rocking sometimes.

A beautiful, regal bird. Good detail and nice processing. Well done.

I agree, @Kris_Smith, I think the colors are very flat more than the tonal contrast – I’ll work on it. I thought the OOF branch would balance things a bit but it may be too distracting.

Nice job on the hawk, Diane. I agree with removing the out of focus branch and adding some punch to the bird. Other than that, a fine image.

Thanks @Kris_Smith, @terryb and @Dennis_Plank! I did feel if was under-saturated but didn’t boost it as the camera was on daylight WB and it was a sunny day, albeit with some very thin high clouds. But it does look better with some color punch. And I removed the OOF limb, and another one in the LL corner, for comparison. Maybe still not enough saturation?

1 Like

I think that looks about right. You could selectively saturate the bird’s head a bit, but it’s a nice improvement. Am reviewing a masking video in hopes that I can get one of my heron take off shots done the way I want it. In the meantime I’ll put up one that didn’t need much work. It was a nice day for birds!

Excellent detail and pose with appropriate head turn. I agree that you could probably increase the contrast and in so doing, improve the plumage detail. I think your sky background works quite well with the colors of the bird.

The repost looks good to my eye, Diane.

Thanks everyone! The two branches being of almost equal length was bothering me so I decided to see if I could successfully shorten the top one. I could! Also added more saturation as per @Kris_Smith and @David_Schoen. Posted with the originals.

Excellent job on the latest repost, Diane.