Red-tail Sail

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I got this beauty the other morning. It was a stop the car, grab the camera, jump out, and blast away as it took off and flew away. I never tire of seeing, and shooting Red-tails. Does it survive only having a simple blue sky BG, and does my cropping seem about right? D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 490mm, ISO 1100, AI Clear, cropped to 6720 x 4560

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Really nice detail, the largest version shows it off very well. I like the soaring pose and the good view of the eye. It looks like this specimen has an unusual belly band pattern-at least the ones I’ve seen usually have a bunch of smaller spots and the band is broader, but this is a hugely variable species.

I’m impressed with the sharpness of this flight shot and you have good eye contact. Nice job.

Dave, this is a nice in flight shot of this hawk. Great details in his feathers. You didn’t let the excitement of having to rush to capture him cause you to miss the shot. It might be just me, but the sky seems a bit unnatural blue. See what some of the others say though. Great quick shot.