Red Knot on Its Migration Route

Hi All,

Went over to the coast to check out shorebird migration. Spent some time with what I believe is a red knot, but please correct me if I’m wrong on the identification.

In post, I cropped just a touch, burned the white portions in the water, ran a curves adjustment, removed a blue cast on the bird, and sharpened it just a touch. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D850
500mm f/4 AF-S II, handheld (my teleconverter randomly stopped working, so I had to shoot the 500mm bare this weekend)
ISO 640
1/2000
f/5

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

Nice catch with the attentive look and the food. I’m not a birder, just love to shoot them, so no help on ID. Kudos for getting down low . If it were me, and maybe just a matter of taste, I’d burn the reflection from the bottom and/or crop some of it off. Not so sure about the OOF blobs in the BG – they are interesting but no clue what they might be.

1 Like

Thanks, Diane. Good idea on burning the reflection. That hadn’t occurred to me. The white spots are sea foam from a receding wave. I know they’re distracting, but I’m trying to stay away from cloning.