Red Tide

What makes this image expressive?

I’d come back to visit a favorite area of eastern Washington that experienced a large fire some years back. The starkness of the wintering foliage was the striking feature during the daytime, but the colors seemed to come to life at blue hour. I framed up several compositions, including this one. To me it seemed like the most prominent barren tree was caught up in something more powerful, like strong waves crashing around it.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’ve cropped this image a couple ways (mainly cropping off the right side a bit) but I submitted the full frame to get your thoughts about the best crop. Also, any thoughts on the processing, especially color and contrast, are appreciated.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting Jack, I love scenes like this, they look so obvious, but they can be so difficult for people to find in the field. Literally not seeing the tree for the forest. The absolute very first thing I noticed was the bottom right corner:

Screenshot 2022-09-06 at 17.28.30

Then I read that and got a lovely surge of Thank Goodness!!

These tiny, insignificant spots of colour or light can be so demanding on the eye.

Now, as anyone who knows me will attest! I am not a fan of “best crop” Each one has a completely different feel, intention and articulation of expression. It’s like comparing apples and elephants, they are not the same and cannot be compared.

We could explore a couple:

In this case a square may be a bit too tight:

But, it is very balanced and harmonious. Non offensive.

The 4x5 is probably better:

This aspect ratio always sits in the frame so well. When asked why he shoots 4:5 the great Hans Starnd replied - “It just looks more expensive!!”

And it does, the content really sits in the frame, there is space and an elegance of medium format. It also contains the content, without compressing it. This would be my preference, but the due note is that each aspect ratio changes the distribution and scale of the content. In this I trust gut over brain every time.

Processing, I would probably soften things a bit with some glowing effect and highlight the cool to warm transition more.

I did this pretty fast, so not a final idea, just a direction.

A beautiful scene with buckets of potential. I long for winter when scenes like this arrive in Scotland.

3 Likes

Kudos to you Jack for seeing this image and attempting to capture a distinguishing element in a sea of fine branch details in this post-burn area. I have some big burns near me and have tried to do the same with some shots, aided by a big bloom of firecracker Penstemon. I wouldn’t crop your shot

at all because the dark, dead branches need a sea of muted colors to frame them at left. I’ve tried to do the same thing shooting blown-off Aspen trees, with their millions of white sticks and trunks, but with some other element (a single Spruce, or stubborn clump of remaining golden leaves) floating in the sea of fine detail. If you print this, go big. It will require both scale and good light where it is hung.

3 Likes

Joined NPN yesterday and this image critique alone made the investment worth it. I often spend my weekends scratching my head over chaotic forest scenes given the nature of what we have here in the US midwest. So getting a look at Jack’s capture from chaos (and a successful one in my opinion) and then Alister’s thoughts on how he might handle it absolutely made my day. Thank you both.

2 Likes

That’s awesome and great to hear… I appreciate your great feedback.

1 Like

Wonderful quote from Hans Strand!

I tried a square crop too but I also think the 4:5 is more effective–much more visually interesting to me. I’ll give it a try with the colors and softness you mentioned.

Very helpful, Alister. Thanks for contributing your time and input here on NPN. And congratulations on the new book!

2 Likes

Hello John, and welcome to NPN! Thanks for the feedback–glad this forum has already been helpful as well. Look forward to seeing you in here more!

Hello James, and welcome to NPN. I appreciate the thoughts on cropping this. I think the point you make about the “sea of muted colors” is really important. Regarding printing big: may I quote you to show my wife?!

Thanks for this response Jack!
My eye is drawn to thickets like the one you shot. Part of it is just the ability of the camera to capture the detail. Kind of a technical miracle.

As for the large print . . . I have one 2X4 footer of Grand Canyon in our family room. Shot it on my first and only solo photo trip out there, a humbling and religious experience. Biggest print I ever made. I don’t think the house can handle another whopper. But there’s no denying that some images need scale!
Here’s my big print (actually finished as a poster).

1 Like

Wonderful image and definitely worth printing large!

You’re welcome Jack. I am glad the feedback was helpful.