Redbuds in the Fall

Was a beautiful day at the Arboretum with the light perfectly hitting the Redbud trees across the lake and reflecting on the water surface.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am just looking for general impressions and feedback on composition.

Technical Details

Doug, I really like the color and reflections in this image. I think it works as is in horizontal semi panoramic look. I can also see it formatted differently just by cropping. There are likely at least 2-3 possibilities. i think its up to your preferences. Here’s one example. Nice image.

Doug,

Gorgeous scene! I can imagine this spot in the spring too!

I really like the pano composition here; the long line of spring greens on the shoreline is just great to look at and explore side to side. I really like how the trees are framed above and below by the darker woods and the vibrant reflection. In fact I like the pano view so much, you might even consider a slight crop off the bottom. Wait, you mean crop the reflection? Well, yeah. To me the story and image is all about the line of trees, and including the spring grasses, shoreline, etc. If the image was about the reflection, then I would include more of the water, and come down from the top - making it obvious it’s about the reflection. For me, it’s about the trees. The reflection is a beautiful supporting element, but you might consider cropping 1/3 to 1/2 of the reflection and see what you think of that.

Minor suggestion. And it’s really minor, but if you’re considering printing and hanging, I would burn down or otherwise address the brigher foliage in the URC. hmmm, maybe a crop to also remove the brighter reflections. I think I’ll post to see how this looks.

Ok, never mind. comp is best as presented. Although I would still address the URC, upper right corner. The entire reflection really adds to the overall scene, so I take it back.

Thanks for sharing,

Lon

Hey Doug,

Nice scene! I just have a few suggestions. First I would spot heal most, if not all, of the gaps in the canopy up above. Especially the larger ones and the ones touching the top edge. I would also darken the entire top strip of pine trees, as well as the bottom edge of the frame. I would darken the top right corner more too to match and also cool down the colors there so it blends in better. Working with a low-res file like this, it wont look great, but this can give you an idea of what I’m saying.

Hope this is helpful!

Your friend,
Eric

Hi Larry, Thanks for your input. I will definitely try a different crop,
Doug

Hi Lon, Thanks for your helpful suggestions. You and others have suggested different crops so I am going to experiment with different ones. I do like you comment about ‘what’s the story’ and focusing on one aspect of the scene, either trees, reflection, etc… That is good helpful advice.

Doug

Hi Eric, Thanks for the great suggestions! I will definitely incorporate the spot healing of the sky highlights and darkening to emphasize the primary subject.

Much thanks!
Doug