Reddish Egret after fish 2

More jumping fish seen at Ding Darling NWR, Sanibel.

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, 1.4x TC III, monopod
ISO 640, f 7.1, 1/2500s

Any comments appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wow, there is a ton of action here. Wings near peak extension and the feet both out of the water–the fish is almost a nice little surprise. Looks like you had just enough DoF so that the fish is pretty sharp. Love all the flying water. The reddish egret looks good and sharp, and the light is nice. My only suggestion would be to mess with the comp. a little bit. I’d try to come in from the top a touch and add a little to the left, if you have it. Good thing you were a shooting little loose on this one!

Both shots are amazing, Allen. I love the action in both the egret and the fish. The splash of water is just a real sweet bonus.

Allen: another great capture of the action. Only nit is that it needs a CW correction. If you look at the ripple the fish has made, you can see that it is tilted to the left. Excellent otherwise. Richard

Really nice action, Allen. That looks like a mullet. I have seen the Reddish at Ft DeSoto many times, and the juveniles in MS, but I’ve never seen one in transitional plumage like this.

Very cool image! Very impressive detail with fine color on the heron. I’m fascinated by the amount of turbulence created by the jumping fish.

And a jumping egret to boot. This is really a cool image, Allen. Great action.