Redshouldered Hawk with Hitchhiker

Hawk Wasp

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This young red-shouldered hawk was just thirty feet from the roadway at the Sacramento NWR. It was very patient with us and didn’t move while I shot about fifteen photos. It wasn’t until I got home and looked at the images that I noticed the hitchhiker on the hawk’s side. It didn’t seem to be bothering the hawk, but was kind of weird to see it there.

Specific Feedback

I added some canvas to the right side. I used Gaussian blur on the BG. I used Topaz denoise and sharpen on the cut out of the wasp.

Technical Details

Canon 5D MIII, f8, 1/2000 sec, iso 400, 100-400/1.4TC at 475 mm.

2 Likes

Wow the wasp is very cool. Gives me a little shiver, but cool nonetheless. I love the side angle you caught. The perch is pretty great, too. The avian gods smiled on you for this one.

Nice framing with the BG shrubbery, and the wasp is a pretty cool catch, too. I’m wondering if a touch of denoise and sharpen on the hawk would remove that little bit of softness. Beautiful bird. I do miss the Sacramento NWR!