Redwood twins bathing in late afternoon summer sun

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
De-saturated green, yellow, and blue
Canon 5d mark IV, ISO 800, 75mm, f/9, 1/30 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I think the concept of this image is a very interesting one. De-saturating all the colors except red really puts a spotlight on the redwood trunks. I also like how you used the dark branches in the background as framing elements, the curved branch is particularly effective in this regard. And now that I think about it, this image is pretty unique in that it is nearly all about framing elements, even the main subject is a frame. Very clever idea on your part.

My suggestion for tweaks would be eliminate the bright horizontal branch in the URC, being bright and near the edge makes it a distraction. I t also points slightly up, and thus leads the viewers eye out of the frame. I would either crop or clone this branch away.

Thank you, Ed! Removing that branch does make a difference.

This composition doesn’t work for me. Half color and half b&w on a linear boundary across the image feels strange. Then that half of the image is straight up and down and the other half is all curves. It’s as though there are two unrelated images combined into one. Just my opinion, though.

Hi Igor, brought back greens and yellows. Took this short 4 pm with harsh light as single exposure. Probably need to go back later in the day when light is softer.