Reflecting #2 w/Revision

Revision with upper highlights removed:

Original:

Reflection of a building on battered piles at the harbor edge. This was taken on our visit to the Charleston, Oregon Boat Marina. I liked the three piles matched with the three sets of windows.

I tried flipping this one vertically like Reflecting #1, but it didn’t quite work as well.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

170mm, 1/1250 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 800.

1 Like

Wow, David. I’m not sure why this image is not generating many looks or comments. It’s tremendous. One of my absolute favorites of yours. I knew it was a water reflection but I had no idea what of. Thanks for letting us know. This is incredibly artistic and something I would consider framing. I like it that much. Could even be flipped on its side for a wild abstract look into a water painters world. Superb in every regard.

Hi @David_Haynes, thanks for the very nice comments. Much appreciated. The Non-Nature category doesn’t get much activity, so it’s not surprising that there are few views or comments. No worries, I still like to post here.

Thanks again, David.

I agree with David that this is a great image, like it a lot. The brown pier part and the building reflections are great and so is the transition between them. A matter of personal taste, but he thing I like the least is the strong water surface reflections at the top of the image.

Ola, I never even noticed those highlights in the upper area. Thanks for pointing them out. I’ve posed an update in the original post.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I never even noticed those highlights either. And, after you reposted I can’t tell which I prefer. The original or the one without the highlights. I can go either way. I kind of like those highlights. It seems more abstract to me. I’m curious which one you prefer?

Really great abstract, David. I forget to visit here too, but sometimes clicking “image critiques” without choosing a category brings nice surprises. I love reflections like this. I see why folks thought the highlights might be best toned down, but I also agree that they add interest to the abstract by making it less clearly dark water at the top with reflections at the north. Those little white skitches (technical term :thinking:) make the whole thing feel textured, and that adds to its impact.

Nice work,
ML

@David_Haynes and @Marylynne_Diggs, thanks for the comments. David, I think I prefer the original after going back and forth on them. :slightly_smiling_face:

Me too. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve just seen this reflection of yours David. I love it…the first one that is (the revised version). As Ola noted, the reflection in the water at the top of the original image is a bit distracting and competes with the ‘meat’ of the image lower down (to me anyway). The revised image has to be about the best water refection shot I have seen. Really good. Now I’ll have to find Reflection #1. Cheers.

1 Like

When I saw the thumbnail of this as I was scrolling, I immediately knew it was yours and what it was. I still haven’t processed my shots from this location. I agree on removing the highlights…I think it looks much quieter and you can focus more on the areas that really matter. Well shot and processed David!

John, thanks for the comments and recommendations. It was a wonderful trip and thank you for your excellent guidance to all the group.

1 Like

I really like the original.

Not sure why but this reminded me of the song “Under the boardwalk” by the Drifters (old song) and it reminded me of happy times working and fishing on the Carolina Coast.

Nice!! :slight_smile:

Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah
On a blanket with my baby is where I’ll be.

If you know the song, you’ll be humming the tune. :slight_smile:

Dang, now it’s stuck in my head :slight_smile:

1 Like