Reflections on the Merced River

As usual, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Tony,

Great find on the river of this snow-capped rock; the transition from wet to frosty, then to snow is cool . I also am really enjoying the flow and “white caps” in the water above. Also really like the hint of colors beneath the surface. You didn’t mention, but my guess is about 1/4 second? Not that it matters…

My only nit/wish is for some detail in the white water after the rock. I’m wondering if you have another frame that has more detail to blend in some texture? For me it pulls attention away from the frosty rock.

When were you there? Did you go to see Horsetail? Looks like it was a stellar year for the fire fall.

Lon

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give it a try. This photo was made stacking two for picking and choosing the color and detail areas. The exposure on the two photos is different: 1/6 second and 1/2 second. I was there this last week. I had a photo accepted for a show at the Museum there so braved the Horsetail Falls crowd to attend the opening Friday night. This year the Park Service decided to take no prisoners. They closed off both Northside and and Southside drive for a three mile stretch, blocking off access to all the turnouts, and had big electronic signs warning that there was no parking or stopping to let off people allowed, at risk of a $280 fine. They did close the right lane of Northside drive to cars so that pedestrians could walk to shooting sites from the parking area at Camp 4, which was the “designated” parking area. So the only way to shoot the falls involved a 3-4 mile round trip walk. I saw people walking to grab spots at 1:30 in the afternoon. Many of the people there that I talked to seemed frantic. It made me feel grateful that I was able to photograph all the great icons years ago when there were no crowds. My photo of Horsetail Falls was taken about ten years ago. I was just driving along Southside Drive and saw some cars parked there and decided to see what the fuss was about. I didn’t try to shoot the falls this time. Thankfully, been there done that in a kinder, gentler time.

I really appreciate the simplicity of this intimate scene. You did a nice job on the exposures. I do agree with Lon regarding pulling some detail in the white water downstream form the rock.

I like the hints of red and blue in the river.
–P

Lon and Preston,

I reworked the photo to pull more detail in the white water as you suggested. Thanks, I do like it better.

There ya go. Thanks for taking the time @Tony_Siciliano

And also, thanks for being so modest… your “…show at the Museum” none other than the annual Yosemite Renaissance Exhibit. Congrats Tony! I posted in the General Discussion if anyone wants to check it out.

Well done!

Yep. There you go. Your edit balances thing nicely.
–P

The repost nails it Tony. Lovely textures in this image.

Nice image. My first reaction was that this was one of Lon’s images because he shot just this composition numerous times. The rework is much better. I would prefer greater sharpness of the ice on the rock to contrast the blurriness of the water.