Remembrances

I had my workshop group at Rialto beach in Olympic National Park one night to photograph the sunset. At one point, everyone scattered to go explore or find their composition. When they did this, I headed the other direction with one of my folks who wasn’t feeling the sunset that night, into the giant pile of driftwood that lines the back of the beach, up against the mountains. As we followed a path through the driftwood, I came across a patch of calla lilies that appeared to be in great shape. I was excited about these plants and I figured there had to be a photograph amongst the patch.

I found this scene, a driftwood log laying amongst the foliage and knew that I had found my comp. The only hard part was figuring out how to shoot what I envisioned for my photograph. I loved the contrast/juxtaposition of the foliage against the weathered wood and wanted a shot that maximized this feeling, which meant I had to shoot straight down, which meant I needed to position my camera over the log and get myself balanced on top to fine tune the composition. Thankfully my tripod was tall enough to get the height I needed for the perspective I wanted and I positioned it over the log. I gently balanced myself on the log, which was prone to moving side to side, and slowly positioned my camera in the position I wanted for this image.

After capturing several frames of this comp, I began experimenting around with slightly different variations of more or less foliage, horizontal or vertical orientation, etc. This is one of two that were my favorites from the area. And, I still managed to snag this shot and make it back on to the beach for a beautiful sunset.

Specific Feedback Requested

Nothing specific, whatever you feel you’d like to say about it. Honestly, I’m more interested in “feeling” reactions than technical reactions, but it’s up to you. :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Fujifilm X-T3
Fujifilm XF16-55mm
f/14
.3 sec
ISO 160

5 Likes

Cool image, John. I like the slight angle. The rich greens against the log makes for a terrific contrast and framing set up. I also like the little rock in the knot. All around a wonderful image, sir.

thank you so much David! I have one comp with the log being vertical in the frame and I don’t like it nearly as much as at a slight angle. I think it brings some interest and perhaps tension to the shot.

1 Like

I just returned from a trip there this summer and was looking for calla lilies like this to shoot but they were al in such bad shape. The weather was hot and dry while we were there. This is richly detailed in color and contrast as well as shape and light. You’ve got everything working pretty well here. Those Calla lilies just look perfect too. I love the little rock in the center of the driftwood. It tells me that the tide at one point came up high and washed a rock into the impression of the driftwood.

Too bad you couldn’t find any good patches David. Early spring is the best time in that area for sure, though it can be iffy weather wise. I got lucky with timing and lighting to produce a great canvas for me to get this shot.

Yes! That little rock is the icing on the cake for me! Thanks for looking and commenting.

I love it and have often looked for something similar with ferns, but no such luck. The slight diagonal is nice and I love how you handled the greens; rich, but not oversaturated or crazy. The hole in the log does look like a nest of some sort. Illusion.

A beautiful scene. A nice contrast to connect different things. I have tried many times with the shades of such wood when they often turn out to be too light. Lovely repeating structure in those green plants

Hey John! Really technically sound photo and I know you want feeling reactions so I’ll just go directly there.
I relate this scene to life. The log to me represents the paths you can take. However those paths don’t have to be direct. There can be interruptions along the way (the rocks on the log) and it doesn’t have to be linear (the angle at which the log is resting in the composition). It’s a peaceful look at the birds eye view of life’s journey. Just my take.

This is really cool John! I like the two rocks in the middle, it really made me want to zoom in and take a peek at what was there.

Thank you @David_Johnston I appreciate the thoughtful comments. I can see the analogy with lifes paths along the way. If the log is the path, stepping off the log into the foliage, is like stepping off in to to the unknown. Not bad, just unknown at this time. Cheers!

Thanks @Matt_Payne. Yea, those rocks are the little easter eggs, the icing on the cake that make this special to me. Hope you’re doing well!

What a nice find. I get a sense of comfort looking at this image, almost like the driftwood is resting peacefully on the calla lilies.

Great shot! I love the contrast of the vibrant green foliage with the texture of the drift wood.

Thank you @DeanRoyer . Yes, comforting is a good word. Kind of like the log is snuggled down with the comforting foliage, enveloped by it. Glad you liked!