Repost Ready for take off

Repost trying to incorporate the good advise given below!

Original post

Inspired by all very good bird images posted at NPN, I leave my comfort zone and post a beginner´s bird image of a Siberian Jay.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
600 mm equiv. handheld, f/6.3, 1/1250, ISO 1600 (apparently set-up to catch birds in flight!)

2 Likes

I love the look through the leaves, bang on light and a nice pose…
Did you run NR on the bird?

This sure doesn’t look like a beginner’s image Ola! You caught a wonderful pose and I’ve always liked birds partially hidden by foliage. Detail in the bird looks fine to me. I don’t know what the original looked like, but a bit of extra room on the top and left would be nice if you have it. The tail tip just feels a little crowded.

Beautiful Ola. I wish my “beginners luck” was this good! Very Nicky done.

Beautiful capture - the detail and colors are great. I agree the tail is a little crowded and I suspect you may have a little more image outside the crop to put back in, and I might try a touch of clarity on the eye to make it pop a little more. Thanks for sharing Ola!

I don’t think it is beginners luck that you nailed this one. Very creative. I like the idea of a bit more room for the tail and lighting the area around the eye a bit. It is a lovely and fun pose. I really like the look of the tree the bird is perched on. Looking forward to seeing more Ola. Well done.

All said above – this is simply gorgeous! It’s worth trying the ideas above to take it from a 10 to an 11.

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your kind comment. Yes, I have used NR (Topaz DeNoise AI). When zooming in on the background, it was somewhat granular. Since you noticed, is there something that I could have done differently to end up with a technically better image?
B.R.
Ola

I rarely if ever use NR on the subject, I use on the BG in almost every photo. I use Topaz but not globally. The bird looks fine here, but I can tell Topaz denoise was used globally.
Most people use Topaz like that, I do not.

@Dan_Kearl, @Dennis_Plank, @linda_mellor, @Terrance_Alexander, @David_Leroy and @Diane_Miller thanks for your kind comments and good advise. I have added a repost, trying to incorporate your recommendations…

1 Like

@Ola_Jovall, The repost with a touch of extra space really kicked this up a notch, Ola. Excellent work.

Ola - I think the repost really hit the next level - really nice image.