Resting Mule Deer

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

He was resting in the tall grasses in early October. I was out testing a new camera. He was very patient with me. I have a series of this animal from close-up to full body. I have always found this series to be among my favorites but I don’t get much reaction from viewers. Any opinions or impressions along with suggestions are welcome.

Creative direction

I feel a communication every time I look at this image. It’s been four years since it was made. He seemed to be at peace. He was watching me but not worried since he was in a protected area.

Specific Feedback

I am always looking for emotional reactions even though it happens less than I would like.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, EF 100-400 II + EF 1.4X @ 238mm, f/7.1 @ 1/1000, ISO 2500, EC +1.33 braced on a car door as it somewhat frowned upon to get out a vehicle in this area.

Description

I was driving around in one of our local wildlife refuges trying out a new camera. This handsome Mule Deer buck was sitting in the shade next to the road taking it easy as were several others around him. He posed for me until I got tired of shooting.

Initially, I thought I was looking at a very nice pen and ink drawing. I like that it is a close up and could maybe even be cropped more closely. (Slightly above his right ear (viewer’s left) and either reduce the bright grass in the lower right or somehow remove it.

Very striking! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a mule deer - only black and white tails. That is some rack on his head…very fuzzy and powerful at the same time. Agree about the grass in the LRC, it’s a bit much for this portrait and since you cut off a lot of the antlers, a bit more won’t matter.

Yes, it is a bit of a line drawing effect. I will work on it further to even things out. Thank you for your suggestions. I did manage to capture the animal more completely as shown in the attached color image.

Mule deer are a bit larger and quite common here in Colorado. I am attaching a tighter shot in color. It’s not a crop. I had lots of time with him so I shot several variations.

Fred: I really like the near high key approach to this photo. My only nits would be to burn or remove the very bright area and the LRC and and adding a faint vignette to bring more attention to the handsome
buck.

Thank you for the suggestions. I may have overdone the corrections here in this first attempt. Please advise with any further comments.