Ribbons

Ribbons, San Mateo Coast, California / May 2017

Anyone who frequents the Northern California coast during the late spring or summer must have encountered the ever-present fog. Over the years, it has teased and tormented me to no end. Every once in a while, however, it tries to make up for the all the inflicted pain by offering gifts of the most revealing kind. Here is one that I received with glee on a very cold, damp and gloomy evening a couple of years ago.

Canon 5DsR, 24-70mm @ 70mm, 1.6 sec, f/22, ISO 100 / Photoshop CC

Thanks for looking. Your thoughts on this image are greatly appreciated.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
7 Likes

Wow, this is a winner, Certainly the best you’ve posted on NPN 2.0. It has you written all over it. It reminds me of ‘fractures’ except for the more rounded shapes and the grittiness of the sand grains. One could stare at this for a very long time and not get bored. Excellent work.

1 Like

Anil, this has so much to enjoy and hold the viewers interest! Colors, shapes and textures are all presented and composed beautifully! Very nicely done!

1 Like

Anil…these images drive me mad. Super class

1 Like

Just beautiful, Anil!!! Lovely abstract.

1 Like

Very powerful abstract! I would have to comb through your gallery to see if there’s one I like more, but just off the top of my head this could be my favorite. The colors and overall variety of forms really make it a strong image.

1 Like

This is superb, Anil. Colors, shapes and textures combine to make this a beauty. Only suggestion is that it looks a bit over-sharpened on my monitor.

1 Like

A “signature” Anil. Excellent, love the colors and textures…I agree with Dave on the sharpening.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who has left comments so far.

@Dave_Dillemuth, @Reno_DiTullio:

I didn’t add much sharpening to this image. What are you are seeing is actually the grain in the sandstone. You won’t believe how rough and gritty the surface is. Here is an unsharpened 100% crop that should give an idea.

2 Likes

Sweet intimate scene, Anil. This is one of those images that lets the eye wander and savor all the intricate details, textures and colors. This would make a lovely print.

1 Like

Wonderful textural and formal qualities and a delightful blend of tones. Excellent !

1 Like

Hi Anil,

Pretty cool image. I like this style of abstraction with blues and browns. Awesome :beers:…Jim

1 Like

Simply spectacular Anil, it just goes to show persistence can pay off big sometimes. I actually like the grainy texture, it gives the image some character. While the blues, browns and yellow create some nice color contrast here, to me it is those pale greenish tones in the bottom half that take this image up several notches. Well done !!!

2 Likes

Anil: Marvelous vision to see this comp and then to capture it and process it so nicely. Superbly crafted image.>=))>

Beautiful textures, patterns, colors, and light!
Fantastic!

The colors and shapes and textures are all working great here. It’s interesting how this composition is found pleasing to a large number of users. It definitely works. Since you posted this in the critique form, my suggestion would be to play with a vignette to see if it has anything to offer. It seems like the bottom edge in particular could maybe benefit from some judicious darkening.

Definitely a winner for me Anil. I love the mix of blues and browns.

A beautiful combination of curves shapes and colours. In particular I like the global fan like structure. Well seen. Simply great.

Anil,

What a wonderful nature abstract. The colors and processing are, dare I say, TK’esque… And that’s a compliment if you couldn’t guess. :wink:

Fabulous work isolating this from what I’ll guess from a much larger scene.

Beautifully seen Anil.

Lon

This is absolutely gorgeous. The colours, texture and tone are in perfect harmony and the lines lend real drama to what is almost an abstract. My first thought was that this was something of Tony’s and that’s about as high a compliment as I can offer. Congratulations. Print it!