Riparian beauty (w/new edit)

As per suggestions below -

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On most river banks, wild roses grow in profusion and the Somo is no exception. I particularly liked the way this one was framed and relatively isolated from the rest. Plus there is some sun landing directly on the flower that helps it emerge from the greenery. Even in their simplest, most un-cultivated state, roses have an alluring beauty all their own.

Specific Feedback

I used the Remove tool in Photoshop a lot with this image…anything else have to go? Other processing ideas welcome.

Technical Details

Handheld in the kayak - I was practically beached on sand so the boat didn’t move much, but the breeze moved the flowers quite a bit so I had to wait it out. Poor me. LOL.

Lr for the usual way I manage luminosity in the Basic panel, also added texture and clarity. Nothing done to colors. Sharpening & nr done the manual way. Photoshop for a lot of distraction removal since rose bushes are basically riotous jungles. Lr for a final crop and polish using a couple of masks.

Kris, I love this one! The lighting and colors are perfect. I like the way the 3 limbs are pointing to the beautiful bloom, even the oof leaf coming down from the top is pointing at it. I sure can’t think of a thing that would help it. Working from the kayak is really working well for you.

Kristen, this is a stunning image. The detail is sharp. Your explaination of how you took this picture makes if truely remakable. You did a wonderful job cleaning it up. I agree with @Shirley_Freeman about the lighting and color as well as the way the branches and leaves take your eye to the flower. I find the bright leaves and the out of focus leaf at the bottom left pulls away from the flower. I hope you don’t mind that I took it into Photoshop and darkened the leaves at the bottom . Then I used content aware fill to eliminate the blured leaf. Finally, I

tightened the crop just a bit . This is a really lovely picture., Kristen. Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

Just when I didn’t think it could get any better, Kris. I like what @Barbara_Djordjevic did to it.

1 Like

Thanks, Shirley, I always hesitate to rework someone elses image. But I only do it when I am really drawn to the image.

1 Like

Wonderful subject, Kris, with such nice framing by the three sets of leaves. I love @Barbara_Djordjevic’s edits! My attention was also pulled by the OOF leaves in the UL and I think they could be darkened quite a bit. Maybe a tweak to the brighter areas in the LR corner as well. A very worthy image!

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Barbara_Djordjevic & @Diane_Miller - I put a new edit in the OP incorporating some of the changes suggested and I think it helps. Thanks so much for the input and sorry for being late back to use them.

Very nice, Kris. I like the edit. This needs a place on the wall, but by now your walls may be getting filled up!

That Remove tool is great isn’t it? I use it all of the time now instead of the spot healing brush.
I really like this image, the colours are nice and the composition simple and clean but what I like best are the tiny shadows of the stamens on the petals. To me they take this image to another level. And I can’t believe you shot this handheld from a kayak! Nice work! :slight_smile:

I agree with everyone, it’s a lovely, simple image and well-done from a kayak! @Barbara_Djordjevic did a great job with her edits, and I too love the shadows of the stamen on the petals. A classic view of this beautiful rose.

Thanks again @Shirley_Freeman - I guess I could swap out some prints!

Thanks @Tom_Nevesely & @brenda_tharp - it came together quite well as a collaborative effort!

Shooting from the kayak does take practice and knowing one’s limitations, both physical and technical, but I’ve been doing it for 10 years and so I’m pretty at home in the boat. One thing it has taught me is patience because positioning sometimes takes a lot longer than it would on foot. The trick is to see ahead to what you’re coming to and then scan for a subject. If you can manage that, often things can line up well and quickly.

1 Like

I haven’t kayaked regularly for that long, but I have experience photographing from a kayak and yes, you have to plan ahead to see what’s coming - both photographically AND to be sure you are safe in the boat (no rapids coming, etc., lol!) Great perspective, though, from a kayak…

Brenda Tharp Photography

Celebrating the World through Pictures.
USA: 415-298-6604

Photo Tours & Workshops
Brenda’s Web Site
Brenda Tharp Photography on Facebook

Follow Me on Twitter
Follow Me on Instagram