Rippling Leafs - Small Scene

On a morning walk around the local nature preserve and the rain started falling. I was already taking some images of the shapes and colors of the leafs in the river when the ripples from rain drops started adding to the interest!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Compositionally and interest wise does this image work for you? It is definitely more subtle in its quality, but I am unsure as to whether it has enough to grab your attention and then the impact to hold it for a while.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Shot straight down on leafs in the river during the beginning of the rain.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@CompellingImaging

It works for me – the gray water sets off the subtle colors int he leaves and the ripples echo the leaves. I like that your high angle enabled a good DOF. The clean edges keep my eye in the frame.

1 Like

Lovely! My favorite kind of small, quiet scene. :slight_smile: Not sure how much you are into “fixing” up mother nature, but I think this might be more aesthetically appealing if some of the tiny bits were cleaned up. I always struggle with how much to clean up a scene - those bits are part of the story, but often are visually distracting. With that in mind, I did a bit of work to clone out the tiny bits, especially ones at or close to the edge (there are two along the bottom). Seemed like you could have a bit more pop if the water was darker, also. So, here’s my idea, although it may not be the story you’re wanting to tell. At any rate, this is a wonderful little vignette of fall.

1 Like

I really like this edit and suggestion! I processed and published a bit too bright here and I should bring that exposure down a bit. I do like it cleaned up as well

Kyle, this is a very creative looking image. The ripples really jump out you when the image is viewed large. I really like that you have many ripples distributed evenly across the frame, it moves my eye around the scene. Those concentric circles really grab my attention. I think the rework by @Bonnie_Lampley to darken the water and add some contrast gives the image a lot more impact, I like where Bonnie took this.

1 Like