Ripples in Red

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any suggestions.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: Taken with Canon SX50, F5.6, 1/500, ISO 800 @150mm

Water reflections a/k/a ripples are a favorite of mine. Have taken more than I can count and all vary widely. This is one of the most vibrant in color with the leaves bringing back realism in the scene.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Love this Patricia! Wow, the red really pops here and the great thing is, it comes across as very real to me. Reds are often hard to render, are easily over saturated, etc., but we also know how reflections can change things a bit, depending on the light above, etc. And the mix of blue to create some pink and purple… wonderful. Details bottom to top with the ripples, excellent as well.

My only nitpick really is the bright areas of the largest leaf. Not sure how you could address that, especially if the lights are clipped - ie. burning probably won’t improve the situation. Maybe some creative cloning from another frame? Not a deal killer as that leaf is somewhat small in the frame, but it does act as a focal point. Love this image and I think it’s worth trying to do something with the big, bright leaf.

Lon

Just love the colors here. The strong reds draw me in and then I see the blues and oranges off to the right and appreciate the variation. I’m a little undecided on the brightness of the large leaf. I like the way it punctuates the image but it seems pretty white. It looks like you could maybe add some soft blues to it like the other white leaves.

1 Like

This is quite a stunning piece here. I agree with Lon and Tony about the white leaf overpowering the scene - if you could it down a bit this would be something special.

I think the white leaf draws me in… It would flatten the scene to lower the impact.
Inspiring work…
The large version has some noise but maybe a compressed image thing or maybe what you wanted.

Patricia, nice painterly abstract image. I looked at your exif information and asked myself why shoot this at ISO 800? I initially thought maybe because you didn’t shoot from a tripod, or maybe because it was so windy you were trying to control subject movement (if this was from 2018 that was probably the case). Either way, I like what 1/500 second shutter speed did to the water here, it adds to the painterly feeling. I agree with Tony Kuyper, the large white leaf is a bit bright and creates a potential distraction, but it would be very natural looking to add a little blue color (color cast from blue sky) and darken it down some.

Superb image, Patricia!! I have no suggestions for improvement. The leaf doesn’t bother me at all, but I keep my monitor a bit darker than many. This jumps off the screen (in a good way) and just grabs you. Love it.