River of Chocolate

It had rained the night before so the North Fork of the Blackwater River was really roaring this particular morning as it plummeted over Douglas Falls in WV. I had to get my brother Mike to help me out with this shot as there was so much mist in the air. I setup the shot and took a couple of test shots for the exposure before standing in front of the lens and wiping the mist off. I then quickly ducked and had Mike trip the shutter. This process continued for a few images before deciding that I had what I wanted.

As always thanks for taking a moment and leaving your thoughts.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 26mm, f 16 @ 1/4 sec, ISO 200, cable release & tripod, one accommodating brother.

3 Likes

You are so lucky, Ed, to have such an accommodating brother. I love not only the softness of the water, but also how it flows through the scene. Your amazing effort produced an amazing image, IMHO.

1 Like

Nice to have an assistant on a shoot! Cool image. I brought it into PS and played with the intensity of the chocolate and decided it looks best as presented, which looks really good. It is just kind of a mind bender to see brown water but here it works quite nicely.

1 Like

Fantastic image – the work paid off!

I think it’s more gold than chocolate – or maybe caramel. As Kris would say – lickable in any case!

1 Like

Ed, give your assistant a bonus for this. It’s great! The chocolate water is so typical of east coast high water events. The zig-zag of the falls is very dynamic with the greens behind adding some fine extra color. It sounds like a situation where I be wishing that I carried my lens shield to reduce the spray hitting the front of the lens.

1 Like

Many thanks everyone @linda_mellor, @Harley_Goldman, @Diane_Miller and @Mark_Seaver; so glad everyone enjoyed the image. Although the conditions were a little challenging we both had a great time and as a bonus several images that we were happy with. Mike was the perfect assistant!

@Diane_Miller: I never thought about caramel, but that is a great call. I am partial to Ghiradelli Intense Dark 72% cocao myself. :grin:

That will do nicely! Maybe with a lovely dark roast! :+1:

1 Like