River Otter

I think most of my favorites for the past year are ones that are firsts for me. A few weeks ago, David Schoen and I had a great session with a trio of river otters at Ridgefield NWR. It’s the third time I’ve seen them there, but the first time I’ve been able to get good images. It’s hard to pull a favorite out of the series, but this is one of them.

Nice image, Denis.What a great proud pose from a successful dive. What a soft supple shape you have presented.

This is very nicely done, Dennis. You have the focus right where it needs to be and I like the pose along with showing the otter in his/her element with their next meal. I can see why this is one of your favorites.

Getting a good photo of a River Otter is very challenging. I see them occasionally at a local park here in MD (and rarely in Yellowstone), where they seem much darker than this one. Getting it eating the fish as well as not having the reeds cross the face are fine bonuses.

Mark. Regarding the darkness, they seem to vary a great deal depending on whether you’re viewing them from the front or the back and on how wet they are. I have some shots from the session with two or three in the frame and you’d almost think they were different species.

Dennis,

Congrats on such a great capture of this proud otter.

Nice capture of this Otter, Dennis! Excellent clarity and detail plus the fish is a nice bonus for both the Otter and you! Good catch!