Road to Adventure

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We were crossing this road in Zion and I had to stop to take a photo. The colors and the sense of potential adventure ahead caught my attention.

Technical Details

ISO 250
f /7.1 (should i have gone higher for better depth of field?)
1/250 sec

Jennifer, I want to get in the car and ride along this road. The play of colors is lovely. I would like to see more of the rock and the top of the trees in answer to your question. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I identified the park as soon as I saw your attractive photo Jennifer, having been out there 2 years ago. The road itself makes a great leading line, drawing the viewer right into the scene, framed by the beautiful trees (Aspens?). Then the red rock cliff in the BG gives a sense of place and 3D effect. Personally I think your DOF is fine, but I do wonder if a vertical composition would have been more effective, showing additional cliff and perhaps sky too.

Jennifer, Welcome to NPN. You have great color here. I like @Jim_Lockhart 's idea of making a vertical shot to showcase the rock face more. This is a fine image - I cropped a bit from the right and then sharpened and denoised the image with Topaz Photo Ai. Then, in PS I used the TK9 plugin to add a “soft pop” action. This made the whole image pop more. I also put in a vignette. To me, the large tree on the right is too prominent and distracts some. Can you reduce clarity on this tree. Maybe try selecting it as on object in Lightroom Classic and slide the clarity to the left. You could do this with texture as well. Nice image.