Rock Layers + REPOST

I find the rock walls of Utah quite fascinating. This was a two foot or so section that had an interesting mix of light and reflected color. Lately, I find myself leaving more blue in many of my images and process a bit cooler than I used to. This one is a bit of a change of pace.

D850, 70-200mm

10 Likes

Harley, I find this one to be close to the top of the list of your posted images over the years. If not for you it is for me from your very fine collection. The unique rock layering leaves the impression, to me, of an assortment of old saw blades hanging in need of cleaning and service.
Very impressive take here… :sunglasses::+1:

Harley: I just don’t get over here often enough. This is marvelous. The color and textures are terrific. Really well seen, composed and captured. >=))>

Harley this is an exceptional image of forms, repetitive shapes, colors, highlights and processing. I agree with Paul, one of your best. Thanks for sharing.

This is very strong image for me. My eye follows or steps down, every layer of stone and inspecting each layers texture and edge. Well done!

Simply outstanding, Harley. The cooler tones remind me of ice and it really makes the scene alive.

Harley, this is one of my favorite images from you as well. Those jagged edges just seem to leap off the screen. Print this image large, and hang it proudly :+1: :+1:

I like cooler treatment a lot, it lends an otherworldly feeling to the image. Very nice work with the colors in this image.

Nice intimate Harley. I can’t remember the last time you posted an intimate. The color combination works well here, as does the repetitive pattern.

Sweet, Mr H.! Beautiful detail and textures throughout. You might consider burning the brighter flake in left third of the image–it looks a tad bright to me and grabs my eye. That’s minor, though. This is a fine image!
-P

1 Like

Nice one, Man! Really strong abstract. Processing looks spot on to me. I agree with @Ed_McGuirk on the cool temp. Fine as presented but for me this image become even stronger if flipped to a vertical.

That seems like a good idea to me.

Very astute observation Dave. A 90 degree counterclockwise rotation does some amazing things for this image.

Very interesting thought, @Dave_Dillemuth, et al. Thanks. I posted the flip above. Any opinions on it vs. the original?

I’m with the consensus here: this is an incredibly beautiful and powerful image. Color, contrast, composition, processing – fantastic work all around. I love the shadows along the bigger cracks and the fine texture of the rock face itself.

Personally, I find that the original horizontal orientation provides a more satisfying journey for my eyes.

Harley, both work perfectly. However, I always lean toward horizontal images. So, the original gets my first choice nod… :+1:

I think both are very strong. I slightly prefer the vertical, it looks like layers of serrated mountain peaks fading off into the distance, especially with all that blue at the top of the vertical.

1 Like

Harley.
First off you can not go wrong with either version as both are keepers IMO. Lately I find myself leaning toward horizontal scenes, but in this case I prefer the vertical as it reminds me of the layering of a mountain range. The cooler tones compliment the warmer ones beautifully and I concur with those who seemed to think this is one of your best images ever. Great job on spotting this one!

Per my usual critique technique, I don’t read any prior comments before I comment. I see a rotated version and am very intrigued. I do the same thing if I want a different interpretation.

This rock is really interesting. As a geologist I love rock and this one is great. As an artist, I look for distinct interpretations, so I like the rotated one as well. Even more, actually.

Well done.

Stunning Harley, and I don’t think I say that about abstracts very often. The mix of colors and lines is a slice of perfection.

The vertical is cool for the mountain peak effect, but I prefer the horizontal for something I would hang on the wall as art.

Incredible image Harley. One of the best intimates I’ve seen in a long time. I prefer the portrait version bit both are super strong images. The color pallet is perfect. No nits whatsoever from me. Incredible find!!!