Rock Wren

The wren appears well camouflaged against the rock. Taken at Smith Rock in eastern Oregon.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is there enough separation between the rocks and the wren?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Is the wren too centered? It seems that when a bird is posed diagonally from beak to tail, I tend to have it more or less centered otherwise there is too much empty space towards the head side of the bird.

Any pertinent technical details:![Rock%20Wren-NPN|602x500]

Canon 7D Mark II; Sigma 150- 600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f6.3; ISO 160.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The wren really does blend in which makes it a great demonstration of camouflage, Allen. Keep this version for the next time they have that weekly challenge. I think the bird is a bit high in the frame, so I’d lop some off the bottom (just above the dark shadow pocket below its feet). The bird seems just a touch soft for some reason, but I think you could make it pop a bit more with a touch of extra sharpening on the body and just a bit of blur on the rocks behind it.

1 Like

Allen, considering how well the bird is camouflaged, I can hardly fault the separation. As to comp, it’s reasonably well decentered laterally (The eye is at mid width, which isn’t unreasonable), but you could trim some off the bottom I think.