Rocky

While wondering around in our backyard recently I spotted this old man’s face staring right at me. He looks like an old man, to me, with the white crustation at the top of the rock- I believe it is some sort of limestone deposit.

I cropped to 5x7, did some sharpening and cloning in ACR, along with a bit of color balance and levels adjustment in PS. Also burned down the “white hair” a bit.

Is the white hair a distraction? Would the image be better if the white were cropped out or cloned out? Do you see the old man?? Any other thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Nikon D7200, f/13, 1/00sec., iso 500 @105mm, tripod. Use an iso of 500 because it was an overcast day.
Thanks.

I see the old man’s face, Linda. I like it the way you have presented it.

I, too see the face, Linda. I don’t think his “hair” should be removed, but perhaps burned down a bit? It appears a bit bright, to me. Fun photo!

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman and @terryb. Terry, I did burn it down twice and was concerned about getting it to flat or grayish. Any ideas?

Here is just a quick adjustment, to see what you think. I’m sure more could be done by masking, etc. but I’m not that skilled.

1 Like

Linda, the “face” is a neat find, especially in your own yard. I think the whites look good in the original, although a bit of burning along the upper left and along the right edge might look better. I’m having fun imagining putting a couple of red lights in here come Halloween.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver. Still working on the best method of burning down the white without make a gray mess. Definitely going to have to keep this rock in mind come Halloween.

Yes, the burning-in is challenging. Best done in a spot like this using a luminosity mask targeted at the brightest tones. Even then too much burning will give you the infamous gray mess.

Yes, it does. I’m feeling like I am getting pretty good at making a “gray mess!” But am giving it another go. Thanks again.