One Rock

I’m not sure if this is a good subject for what this weekly challenge. I’ve never shown this image to anyone before so this may be a good time. I desaturated the oranges in the main subject considerably. This was shot with a D810 and a 24-70 lens.

I’m seeing a flaw in this image. Perhaps that’s why it wasn’t shown before. Can anyone spot it?

2 Likes

This is good, Igor. I like your comp and subject. I might burn the rock along the right edge with a kind of vignette but otherwise processing looks good. I see a OOF area toward the top, but it doesn’t bother me (at web size, anyway). Very enjoyable image.

I like this scene, Igor. The contrast in color and texture between the subject and the background rocks works well. The bit of softness toward the top doesn’t bother me, but in bird photography we usually have out of focus background. I see lots of flaws here, but they’re all natural ones in the rocks.

1 Like

Just beautifully composed and taken with a great POV, Igor. Can’t spot the flaw but I do think the desaturation on the orange rock harmonizes it nicely with the main slabs.

This is another very inspirational image, Igor. I am not sure if I would ever see this even if I walk next to it. I am also somewhat bothered by the OOF area on the UL corner but not necessarily a dealbreaker, just an imperfection.

Hi Igor, any photos of rocks is ok by me…love them as much as trees. I think this fits the theme, your rock pretty much stands out from its neighbors, based on color and form. Seems out of place with the surrounding rock. Looking at it closely though, it seems to be very porous, indicating a sandstone-like material, or maybe volcanic? And I’m wondering about that whitish-pinkish material that appears to be leaching out from the edges…is it really a rock? As for the “flaw” , the only thing I’ve noticed is on the gray rock top middle, the detail is somewhat smeared; almost looks like some concrete was used at one time. Anyway, nice lighting in this shot, showing off the textures and grain of all the rocks nicely.

Seems an obvious “one” to me, with the orange cobble front and center. I confess, I don’t see an obvious flaw. The frame feels a bit tight around the subject rock, though; just a bit more room all the way around might be nice. It does have lovely tones and textures.

Jim, I’m not really an expert on geology. The background looks like weathered granite. Yes there is some volcanic activity in the area in places. There are reddish mountains around here with these types of larger rocks scattered around and then still finer pebble rocks which are arranged like pavement. The larger rocks are porous but very hard. The locals use them as foundation for their cement walls.

Rgw ‘flaw’ is a DOF issue which is sharp at front and fades further back. When I sharpen the front it will have no effect on the back unless I increase the radius I guess. Anyway it’s a comp that requires good sharpness throughout and it won’t print well, me thinks.

Igor, I’m really enjoying the sense of a natural “still life” in this view. The main rock looks good and has a lot of interesting elements while it rests nicely on the rocky background.