Ancient Eyes

Any Feedback welcome, I’m especially interested in composition and in this case conversion from color to B&W.

Shot on Tripod as a focus stack image, converted to B&W in photoshop with local adjustments in Photoshop and Lightroom

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

1 Like

Hi @Todd_Paige. I like the drama on this picture, the clouds, the shutter speed was on the point.
The image appears (I’m on the phone) to be sharp all the way to the background, but personally I would frame it on a 16:9 maybe, but it’s only personal taste.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
João Ferrão

Strong and dramatic. This has a very IR look to it (looks old school film with a dark red filter). The comp and processing work for me and I don’t have any suggestions. Well done.

Todd,

this is one awesome scene made even more dramatic with the b&w processing. I love the classic Adam’s like sky (or Harley’s dark red filter reference.) To top this off you’ve captured some absolutely fanstastic rock formations. The formation near center looks like a goblin of some kind - quite spooky!

Compositionally, I really like the balance between the somewhat distinct rock formations (brighter horizontal and darker verticals) with the awesome sky and clouds. the only improvement or alternate would be a slight crop off the top. Not so much to maintain an ratio, but to bring just a little better balance with all the elements (ie. just tad less sky.) But this is downright awesome as presented. Love the processing.

Lon

I like this a lot. Great tones and a fine composition. I agree with Lon’s suggestion to crop a bit from the top. Also, that one rock peeking over the sunlit edge near center grabs my eye. Not sure how you would feel about cloning it, but it is a little distracting.

This looks a lot like the Alabama Hills in CA. It’s one of my all-time favorite spots.
-P

Thanks to everyone for the comments, I have incorporated your suggestions. I think the rock ridgeline does look cleaner as Preston suggested. I also reduced the proportion of the image devoted to sky replacing the original sky with a warped and cropped version of itself.

2 Likes

Excellent rework Todd! Thanks for taking the time and effort!

Really great image! Not much to say as far as critique goes, I like the suggestions and the retouched version.

Thanks John, I’ve reworked a couple of images based on feedback here on NPN and I’m happy with the results. I guess that’s the point of seeking feedback!
Todd