Role reversal

Usually, a cowbird lays its eggs in another birds nest allowing the other bird to raise the juveniles. In this image, the young juvenile Goldfinch appears to be looking at the cowbird as if it was its mother. I’ve never seen this kind of behavior before although I’ve seen many cowbird’s. I really like the interaction and the dynamic mood of the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

ISO 1000, F6 .3, 1000th, 200 to 600 at 600 mm, Sony A1

5 Likes

So cool. Great interaction, David. Awesome background too.

Hi David,
Great capture!!
Details, color, DOF, all of it is wonderful :slight_smile:

This one needs a good caption, something like "He did it!, it wasn’t me! :open_mouth: (or something better)

Love it!

Terrific interaction. Is that actually a cowbird though? Looks so different than the bronze-headed ones we get here, but I often can’t get so close. I like that you were able to get both in the same plane for crisp detail. I like that one bird faces us, but the supplicant faces a little away and toward that bird. And a background to die for.

This is a female cow bird. The coloring is a little light and I’m wondering if it is in fact a juvenile. The female bronzed cowbird is generally darker in coloration. But there must be some variations. I generally see about one cowbird every year.

Amazing and wonderful!! The little guy looks like he might be really hungry!

I would think an adult cowbird would be long gone - but maybe she was drawn back to the nest by some twisted maternal instinct! So many possibilities here, and it goes to show how little we know yet about animal behaviour. Lovely perch too.

Fascinating information, David. I had no idea Cowbird acted in this manner. The interaction between the two birds and the detail of each are wonderful. Definitely a favorite. Nicely done.

David, the interaction is quite amazing, although it’s hard to imagine that the cowbird would be feeding the young goldfinch. It looks like that youngster would beg from any larger bird…

I love this great behavioral capture, David! The image is not only technically excellent but it has a story to tell or at least wonder about. Nice job and I’m not surprised it is a favorite! :+1: