Rose Breasted grosbeak

Had to use a higher ISO, is the noise level acceptable?

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Overall composition and colors.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)Canon 7D M II, Sigma 150-600mm C @ 600mm
1/500 @ F-7.1 ISO 1250 tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A gorgeous bird, John. I like how he turned his head for you. It seems like this shot is a bit bright on my screen, but see what others say. I would especially try to tone down the limb that is behind him, as it pulls the eye away. Wonderful colors and details in the feathers though.

Thank you Shirley, I will take a look at it again and see what I can do. Have to admit, I am not good with finer detail processing.

Love the colors in this. Personally I like the bright green. I wouldn’t change a thing.

A very nice pose, John. The composition and colors work for me. Nice detail on the breast of the bird, but it seems to fade on the head, which surprises me. At that setting and this pose, I’d think you’d have more depth of field. Still a fine spring image of this beauty.

Thank you Dennis. I have not been very active since the change over of NPN, but going to try to get back into the swing of things.

Nice pose. I like the bright green leaves contrasting with the red breast and I like the background. I agree with Shirley’s comment about possibly darkening the branch. Noise is not evident to me. Did you use NR in processing; that might account for some decreased detail in the head as Dennis mentioned.

Hi Allen, thank you for your comments. I did use noise reduction as I had shot at 1250 ISO. Odd light, varied from dark to sunlight as fast moving clouds kept causing the light to change. Also, lightened shadows, which also may have reduced detail in the birds face and head.