Roseate Spoonbill

Here’s a Roseate Spoonbill from a local rookery taken this spring. Taken at last light, I liked the clouds.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 1DX2 500F4 1/1250 F6.3, iso 1250, handheld, manual exposure

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Looks good from my phone. We often overlook the sky when photographing birds in flight. The cloud add an essential feature to the image. The spoon bill is fun to look at too…Jim

You could not ask for a nicer fly by. An excellent look at both undersides of the wings. Nice and sharp, soft feel to it, and subtle clouds break up bg.

Beautiful bird, beautiful light and a beautiful sky, Nate. My only nit is that the angle of the bird’s flight feels a bit awkward to me. I downloaded it, rotated and used Content aware crop to fill the corners back in. See what you think.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis, it was coming in for a landing that’s why it’s angled down. I like your version as well.

I figured that much, but sometimes I prefer a little art over what nature provides. :grinning:

The light on this is fabulous. Both versions are excellent. The sky with the clouds in the background really makes a difference.

Beautiful bird, but the first thing I noticed was also the clouds. It’s a rare treat when lit clouds give you a nice background, and you took full advantage. My only nit is that I’d like to see the frame larger.

The background really does complement the plumage well, especially with the subtle tonal variations. Nice one, Nate.

Max

Got to love the wing spread, leg position, the clouds - my only nit, if any, is the head position
Lovely!

Nate, this is a real beauty. I love the wing spread, and how the clouds behind him complement his feathers. Nicely done.