Roseate Spoonbill Coming in

Hi All,

There’s a great rookery in south Texas where great egrets, roseate spoonbills, and a few snowy egrets nest. The location is perfectly suited for afternoon flight photography. The birds will come so close that you’ll clip them at 400mm. I shot this spoonbill there.

In post, I cropped a bit for comp., cloned out a few limbs from a stray treetop, worked on the exposure for the bird with a targeted curves adjustment, and reduced noise on the background. Most of the work was done using the updated Capture One. I have to say, I am a huge fan of theirs, and they just keep making the product better. Also, it’s not subscription-based, and this big update was free. They even launched a cheaper, Nikon-only version this week. Anyway, if anyone has been C1P-curious, now seems like a good time to give it a look. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3s
200-400 f/4 with 1.4x tc @ 550mm
1/1250
f/5.6
ISO 1600

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

I love the wing position, Lyle and the way the head is will displayed by it’s position against the far wing. A very nice image.

A very eye-catching capture with that bright pink plumage, Lyle! Good job with the processing. It looks pretty clean for an ISO-1600 shot! I haven’t upgraded to the newest version of Capture One yet. I need to do that.

Classical landing pose for the Roseate, which you captured very well. Love the wing position. No nits from my side, amazing image ! Cheers, Hans