Rosemary + Repost

I adjusted the BG by choosing it as the black point in levels followed with an adjustment in Shadows & highlights, and Brightness & Contrast. This produced more pop and I was able to remove the halos in the original BG. Normally, I will leave spiderwebs and other treasures intact, but removed them in the repost. Please let me know what you think…Jim

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It takes just a couple of minutes to setup 3 off camera flashes for these tiny flowers (5.0mm). I used a dark green background and had to clean up some debris on the leaves in Photoshop

Technical Details

Z9 105mm Micro (1/80 sec at F11, ISO=80, 44 image stack PMax) Topaz DeNoise, Levels, Crop for Comp, Rotate image.

This is really nice, Jim. How do you set up your flashes? Do you use light stands?

There’s some kind of interesting but very faint stuff going on inside the red circle I painted on the copy below. any idea what it is? It almost looks like a seed tuft from another plant that got stuck there.

1 Like

Very cool. I can’t say I’ve ever seen rosemary flowering before so I love it for that, but there are some very dark halos around each leaf and the flowers that looks like masking went awry.

1 Like

Thank you @Dennis_Plank and @Kris_Smith for the critiques. Following up with @Kris_Smith 's comments, I was able to see the haloing which may have been produced by shadows cast by the subject from the flash. The BG is about a half a stop above black and the shadows although barely visible are there. And I will have to do some additional editing. @Dennis_Plank I use the Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) which is a reason why I chose to use Nikon. My master flash is attached by cable to the hotshoe and positioned above and to the left of the subject. I then create fill with two Nikon macro flashes positioned laterally to the subject attached to the housing of the lens. Sometimes, I will use stronger flashes mounted on lightstands that throw the light through the cloth of the softbox. Three flashes work the best for me…Jim