Rough Morning - Edited Repost

Edited Version

Origianal Version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Windy day at the mouth of the Santa Ana River in Orange County, CA.

Specific Feedback

Whites white enough? Sharpness and detail in the windy conditions? Too much salt grass in the water? Any comments or recommendations for this or future similar opportunities are welcomed.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f8, 1/5000s, iso 400, -1 ev, 100-400+1.4tc at 560 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

The whites look good to me, Ed. I like the fluffed up plumage. The clump of vegetation behind the head and the one in the upper right corner could go, but the one behind the head would be difficult without some very careful masking or selection. I don’t know what the situation was, but this looks as if you were looking down at a fairly steep angle. If there had been a way to get lower, I think the image would work a bit better (and it might have gotten rid of that pesky plant behind the head).

Thank you @Dennis_Plank. I just went through, selected the egret’s head and back, created a separate layer, then clone stamped a bunch of the salt plants out around the bird. I hope I didn’t leave too many artifacts in the process. I think it looks a lot cleaner now though.

Hi Ed, whites look good to me too. I like the rework per Dennis’ suggestion. Always nice to catch a bird in frumpy pose. Settings look good with adequate shutter speed to stop the bird fluffing itself.

Better selection than I thought you could get, Ed. The water you cloned in looks a little darker than the surrounding stuff, so if you feel like it, you could try dodging it a trifle.

Thank you @Allen_Sparks, andd again @Dennis_Plank. I will select and lighten the darkened water in front of the bird.