Rough Surf

OK, another reworked oldie. This is one of the first digital images I took back in 2005 when I went digital. It was actually actuation # 54.

I reworked it today; I’m pretty happy with the water and beach, but I would love ideas, critiques, and suggestions about what to do with the nasty sky, and also crop suggestions. I thought about replacing the sky with another but I’ve never done that and would prefer not to if it can somehow be saved. I’ve done all I can do it and it’s still terrible.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Suggestions on how to fix this terrible sky. Would also appreciate crop suggestions.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D2x
1/160 @ f/9
100 ISO
Handheld probably, but don’t remember

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@simplynatureart

Wonderful detail and color in the waves Bill. I like the presence of the birds. The current sky balances the image along with the strip of beach and keeps the viewer focused on the rough surf.

1 Like

Nice texture here Bill. I also like the cyan hues in the water.

I’m on the fence on the birds. At least those that overlap with whitewater

1 Like

Really nice wave action here Bill. I love the windblown waves near the horizon line, and the green color in the water is very appealing. I’m okay with the birds, except for the one in the ULC that merges with the horizon, I’d clone that away. If this were mine, I’d also consider burning down the sand in the LLC, I think darkening it would place more emphasis on the waves. but overall this is a very nice image.

1 Like

Bill, the action in the waves and the sailing birds show up very well in the large view. Yes, the sky is bland, but it fits with all of the action in the sea and it lets the sea dominate the view. Similarly, the strip of sand acts best as framing all of that outstanding surf action. Love the bits of green and all of the blowing spume.

1 Like

@Eva_McDermott, @Nathan_Klein, @Ed_McGuirk, @Mark_Seaver, thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Greatly appreciated.