Short life of a wave

Was back at Long Beach WA for a couple weeks. Had a minor storm that resulted in some unique, but not huge, waves. This is he first of six showing formation to lack of formation.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7 DII; 1/1600th; 6.3; spot; 400 ISO; 200mm on 70/200; cloudy

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

What a lovely light and great moment. I like the short exposure and the dynamics in the wave. Great image.
I think that Iā€™d like a little more space on the left side even more, to balance the image. The bird in the sky makes me hesitate: the position is nice, but I think it is a matter of personal taste to leave it there or to clone it out. Iā€™m interested to read the opinion of other viewers.

A beautiful and unusual wave and capture of it. I would clone out the bird, as I feel it distracts from the wave centerpiece.

Jim, the details in that ā€œflyingā€ wave are terrific. The ā€œbrokenā€ wave leading in works well and I like how in the larger view you get a glimpse of the rest of the scene.

I agree. Bird removed. I have no more room on left.

Such a cool moment! The transilluminated wave is fantastic!I think Iā€™ve opened this image up 4-5 times, feeling drawn to this, but thereā€™s something that I couldnā€™t put my finger on. It had to do with balanceā€¦the slightly off-center aspect of the primary subject is fine, but Iā€™m feeling that the space in front of the wave (to my eye) is more dead-space than negative space. I hope you donā€™t mind my taking the image, cropping to a 4:5, and increasing luminance and texture of both the primary and secondary waves to help provide a complimentary subject. Not sure if itā€™s to your liking, but hereā€™s a go anyway. Kind of a rushed job, but hopefully you get the point. Iā€™d be interested in yours and others feedback regarding this interpretationā€¦and thanks for sharing. We donā€™t get waves like that on the mid-Atlantic! Pretty cool shot!

Jim, these waves may not be big by your standards, but the combination of the warm light and shapes of the waves make for a great shot. And to catch two waves like this together too, wow what timing. Iā€™m good with this image as presented, but if desired, you could easily add room to the left via Photoshop ā€œAdd Canvasā€ and ā€œContent Aware Fillā€.

@Jim_McGovern you asked for feedback on your cropped interpretation. I think it works too, and obviously places more emphasis on the shapes of the waves. Itā€™s a matter of personal taste, but I prefer the original composition because I think leaving room on the left for the waves to ā€œmove intoā€ creates a greater sense of implied motion.

1 Like

Jim,

Fantastic wave action and timing - but that light is really the icing on the cake here.

+1 on the bird removal - minor, but I think more like dust clean up than anything.

I can go along with Edā€™s crop, but also think your original works beautifully, especially with the added glow on the left. Iā€™m less inclined to worry about the space for the wave to ā€œmove in toā€ - I think that is more important say for wildlife, birds, etc. - Itā€™s not like this wave retains this shape as it moves right to left - this is an instant in time and so space on the left isnā€™t all that important - but that light sure is!

Lon

Thank you everyone for your comments. As always, they are much appreciated.