Royal Gramma

Image:

Description:

This photo is of a captive fish in my reef tank. The royal gramma resides in the Caribbean sea in deeper portions of coastal reefs. The colors of this fish are highly saturated in full spectrum lighting, but at 30 to 40 feet below the surface, the light present covers blue and ultraviolet making this fish very difficult to spot.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Z9 105mm micro, flash set at +1.3 ev (1/80 sec at f16, ISO 800) Levels, Saturation reduction in orange, blu, and purple, rubber stamp tool to clean up microbubbles and odd bright spots in BG, crop for comp. Fish is about 1.5 inches in length.

1 Like

I would love to see that vibrant and colorful fish pop more. I would recommend trying to darken and desaturated the background some. Right now it feels too even.

1 Like

Such a beautiful fish, Jim. I can imagine that the colors would seem to be in need of desaturation, since they are such bright colors. Not sure what would help, but maybe @Eric_Bennett in maybe darkening the BG. He’s a real beauty though. That must be neat to watch him in your tank.

1 Like

Thank you.–My current monitor cannot handle the color very well so I will work on it after my new monitor arrives…Jim