Am I Boring You?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was doing some macro photography and decided to try to get some fish pictures from the reef tank. The royal gramma provided a tremendous yawn and was surprised how much light reached into the fish’s mouth. I did have to reduce the saturation of purple and blue and removed several white out of focus starfish blobs from the scene. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!..Jim

Technical Details

Z9 105mm f2.8 Micro (F16, 1/200 sec at ISO 64) Topaz DeNoise, Levels, Reduction of saturation for purples and blue, -shadow adjustment, -highlight adjustment, crop for comp…Jim

3 Likes

Jim, I thought at first your title was asking if I was bored, and no, I wasn’t in the least. Then I realized you were talking about the fish having his mouth open in a yawn. Such a great capture. Face-on shots are really neat. I’m surprised that the light went down into his throat too. Pretty neat though.

1 Like

This is awesome, Jim. The open mouth and how the entire fish seems to glow makes it just burst from the screen. Excellent work.

1 Like

I can just see someone’s boss looking like this during an office meeting! Only quibble is about the tiny white spots in the background that look a bit like dust spots, but are probably something floating in the water. Great shot!

1 Like

Jim: In your face color and a fine capture. I’ve never done any aquarium work but suspect it is challenging. A tip o’ the cap to you sir :billed_cap:>=))>

1 Like

Jim, this is a great catch, with the clear look down the throat. Even with your saturation decrease, the blue and red are quite electric…but that’s true of many saltwater fish. The “I’m going to eat you” pose is quite dramatic.

1 Like

Hey Jim, love it…composition and colors. You didn’t list a strobe used? Great catch and processing anyway, I would have titled it “Jaws” :grin:.

Hi @Jim_Lockhart , I used 4 Nikon SB-R200’s to light up the fish. I may try this with 3 to get a little more shadowing in the subject…Jim

How did I miss this earlier?? Wild blues that look fluorescent, probably tameable with calibration sliders, but a great shot – truly amazing!

Great subject for a focus stack! (No, really, just kidding…)