Longnose Hawkfish

Description:

This is a portrait of a longnose hawkfish which are native to the deep water reefs of the Pacific Ocean. I used 2 flashes to light the subject with one mounted off camera and the other beaming down into the aquarium from above. I posted a similar image of this guy several years ago, but this photo is much better. In the large version, you can see the teeth on the jaws which are very hard to see in true life. The magnification is about 75%.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 105mm f2.8 macro (1/320 sec at f9.0, ISO 500, multiple flash photography. Levels, reduction of blue and cyan in shadows, Brightness & Contrast, slight crop…Jim
Is this a composite?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Jim: A very natural looking shot with masterful application of the flash. The large version is indeed a treat. Many kudos. >=))>

1 Like

Jim, I second Bill’s comments! Really nice. I see the teeth! A look at a creature that otherwise I would never see. Thank you.

1 Like

Jim, your tank and photo set up are doing a great job. The colors and details look excellent and natural.

1 Like

Great shot Jim!!! I like the pose and mouth open with all the detail in the fish. Great lighting to really make the fish pop from the background which can be distracting if not handled properly. Had no idea it was in an aquarium, thought you made a trip to Maui and went diving! :smiley:

1 Like

Great shot, I never thought of using a flash. I miss having a aquarium, mind was saltwater 150 Gallons. Amazing photo Jim

1 Like